How to Join
Membership in the International Practice Management Association is available to practice support managers in law firms, corporations, government, judicial or legal agencies. Membership is also available to those individuals who may be otherwise involved in practice support management or who serve as providers of services and products of interest to practice support managers. Check out the list of membership qualifications here.
IPMA Offers Several Categories of Membership
The IPMA reserves the right to request a job description, if it is deemed necessary, to process the application and/or determine the correct membership category.
All IPMA dues, including discounted dues, are based on a calendar year ending December 31. Click here to read the IPMA's refund policy. Please contact IPMA Headquarters if you need a Membership Application in PDF Format.
For those who manage or supervise paralegals, practice support personnel, and other non-attorney timekeepers.
- Open to any qualified person who is employed by a private law firm, corporate in-house legal department, government, judicial or administrative agency, court system, or other charitable legal agency.
- Applicant must be responsible for managerial and administrative duties specifically related to practice support personnel employed by the organization, regardless of the title by which the person is classified within the organization.
- Practice support professionals can include paralegals, project assistants, litigation support personnel, docketing clerks, contract lawyers, nurse consultants, government relations consultants, and other professionals who have received specialized training and/or education to assist lawyers and legal departments and who are responsible for generating revenue or would otherwise be responsible for generating revenue if they were working in a law firm.
- Duties may be either personally performed or delegated to others, but must include at least five of the duties described in the membership application.
- Eligible to vote and hold elective or appointed office.
$200 USD Non-Profit Rate
ENTERPRISE MEMBER RATE: $1,800 Flat Rate
Unlimited number of IPMA members as long as they meet the cirteria for any of our individual membership types.
Apply Online - Regular Membership
Apply Online - Non-Profit Regular Membership
For non-managerial paralegals and other practice support professionals, attorneys or administrators.
- Open to any individual who does not meet the requirements of Regular membership and who is a paralegal or other practice support professional, attorney, or in-house administrator employed by a private law firm, corporate in-house legal department, government, judicial or administrative agency, court system, or charitable legal agency. Practice support professionals may include paralegals, project assistants, litigation support personnel, docketing clerks, contract lawyers, nurse consultants, government relations consultants, and other professionals who have received specialized training and/or education to assist lawyers and legal departments and who are responsible for generating revenue or would otherwise be responsible for generating revenue if they were working in a law firm.
- An individual involved in bar association activities related to paralegal training or management.
- An executive of a professional association involved in activities related to paralegal and other practice support professional training or management. A professional association may not have more than on executive designated for membership.
The above applicants must be responsible for no less than three duties as listed on the membership application.
Associate members are not entitled to vote or to run for elective or appointed office.
Subject to the provisions of the IPMA's Policies & Procedures Manual and with the approval of the Board, associate members may hold a committee chair, task force chair, or chapter chair position and shall have all rights and privileges prescribed by the association's policies and procedures.
Consultants, service providers, and employees of service providers may not become associate members of the association, even though they meet the criteria for this class of membership.
2019 DUES: $310 USD
Apply Online - Associate Membership
Affiliate Members shall have access to specified IPMA resources. They shall be able to access all information on the Association website, be able to attend affinity groups calls and webinars, and be eligible for membership discounts for Managerial Skills, the Annual Conference and Exhibition, or similar Association educational activities. Affiliate Members shall not be eligible to attend Chapter or Committee meetings without prior approval of the Chapter or Committee Chair and any Regular member from the same organization who regularly attends that meeting. However, Chapters may invite Affiliate Members to social and/or community service activities or any local educational activities from which they would benefit.
Affiliate Membership Online Application
For educators of paralegals and other practice support personnel.
- Applicant must be employed as a program director, assistant director or educator of paralegals and other practice support personnel.
- Open to any individual or institution who does not meet the requirements of regular, associate, or business partner membership, but who is supportive of the purposes of the association.
- Must be affiliated with an ABA approved paralegal program, or a program that is in substantial compliance with the ABA Guidelines for the Approval of Paralegal Education Programs and accredited by a nationally-recognized accrediting agency; or, in Canada, a nationally-recognized provincial or territorial accredited program; or, outside the United States and Canada, a program accredited by or in substantial compliance with the guidelines set by an organization equivalent to the ABA, law society or provincial or territorial bar association.
- Academic members may, with the approval of the Board, hold a committee chair, task force chair, or chapter chair position and shall have all rights and privileges prescribed by the IPMA bylaws.
- Academic members are not entitled to vote or to run for elective or appointed office.
- See the application form for details.
2019 DUES: $225 USD
Apply Online - Academic Membership
Emeritus membership in the association shall be open to any individual who does not meet the requirements of any other membership category.
- Must have been a regular member for two years, and;
- Must have been a manager of paralegals or other practice support professionals for a minimum of five years
2019 DUES: $50 USD
Apply Online - Emeritus Membership
IPMA Membership Criteria: Supervisory Duties
- Recruiting and interviewing
- Job description
- Training and development
- Benefits administration
- Approval of CLE
- Performance evaluation
- Temporary staffing
- Classification of practice support professionals
- Employee relations
- Discipline and termination
- Budget planning/forecasting/preparation
- Other financial analyses beyond mere record keeping
- Salary administration
- Preparation of financial reports
- Establishment of billing rates
Policy and Procedures:
- Delegation of work assignments
- Coordination of work flow
- Preparation of office manuals/handbooks
- Training of personnel
- Strategic and target planning
- Organizational development
- Development of systems, policies, or procedures
- Review, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of systems that facilitate practice support professional tasks
- Training practice support professionals on technology systems