Senior Copyright Paralegal
Fenwick & West is a top-tier law firm with an open and inclusive culture. With more than 300 attorneys and 400 employees in the Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle and New York, we work with companies on the cutting edge of technology, life sciences and cleantech. For more than four decades, our Firm has helped some of the world's most recognized companies become and remain market leaders. We are proud to have been named one of the Best Places to Work in the Bay Area for the twelfth year.
We have an opening for a Senior Copyright Paralegal who will be responsible for preparing and filing copyright registrations and conducting copyright searches through the Copyright Office's online Public Records Catalog. This position can be based in either our Mountain View or San Francisco, CA office.
Senior Copyright Paralegal
||Fenwick & West LLP
||Mountain View, CA
|Posting Start Date:
- Navigate the U.S. Copyright Office (“USCO”) website and find links to forms, fact sheets and Circulars.
- Understanding of USCO filing procedures through eCO, the DMCA Designated Agent online registration system, and certain hard copy registrations and recordation.
- Prepare responses to the Copyright Office examiners’ inquiries regarding applications and other submitted requests and understanding of who to contact for specific issues.
- Understanding of various internal Copyright Group questionnaires, memoranda and procedures.
- Understanding of the Copyright Group procedures for the administration and maintenance of its electronic files.
- Evaluate information provided by clients and prepare follow-up communications regarding copyright registrations, recordation and DMCA Designated Agent.
- Understanding of docketed deadlines, the meanings and significance.
- Proof Certificates of Registration and Certificates of Recordation and ability to seek correction, if necessary.
- Prepare documents pertaining to the transfer or change in copyright ownership for recording with the Copyright Office.
- Understanding of procedures and requirements for ordering copies of records from the Copyright Office.
- Review inbound and outbound copyright files and knowledge of Copyright Group policies for processing.
- General assistance to Copyright Group attorneys and paralegals.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to analyze issues related to copyright registrations and propose remedies.
- Experience in preparing and filing copyright registrations that involve unusual, complex issues.
- Experience in reviewing and preparing responses to the Copyright Office examiners’ inquiries regarding applications and other submitted requests for unusual and complex issues.
- Complete understanding of procedures to register every type of work registrable with the Copyright Office.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct copyright searches through the Copyright Office’s online Public Records Catalog, analyze results and prepare search reports.
- Knowledge of procedures for copyright registration in other countries and ability to assist local counsel with material and information.
- Strong understanding of the Copyright Act, pertinent sections of 37 C.F.R., the Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).
- Excellent client service ethic, communication and interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will have 6 years of copyright paralegal experience. A bachelor's degree and/or paralegal certificate from an ABA-accredited program is required.
To be fully considered for this position, please apply directly online: http://www.fenwick.com/pages/Careers-Professional-Staff.aspx
||This listing expires on: 12/22/2020