- Learn the ins and outs of management in the legal industry
- Participate in live webinars and have access to dozens of recorded sessions
- Network with industry leaders and connect with other aspiring managers
- Receive a discount on IPMA’s Conference and Managerial Skills Seminar
- Have access to unlimited online managerial resources
- such as core competencies and job descriptions
- Utilize the mentor program and learn from managers all over North America
These resources are an essential foundation in making you an effective legal organization manager. The IPMA is your resource for training and building a network of practice support managers that you can rely upon throughout your career.
Affiliate Membership Online Application
Affiliate Membership PDF Application
New Manager’s Starter Kit
- This part of the website has articles on setting up a program, recruiting, training programs and mentoring. There are also articles on the “value” of practice support managers that may be useful in helping you to convince your organization to create a managerial role.
- A comprehensive list of tasks and basic knowledge competencies necessary for paralegal and practice support managers.
- Sample lists of duties needed to perform management related tasks useful for drafting your next job description.
- Resources prepared by IPMA members and others on professional development, human resources, staffing and financial management.
Affinity Group Calls
These calls focus on topics which are of particular interest to individuals who are responsible for supervising staff who perform duties in specific areas. These meetings cover topics ranging from latest developments in the affinity group focus to unique supervisory issues. The conversation is often driven by the needs of call attendees. We currently have calls focusing on litigation support, docketing, intellectual property, information governance, in-house (managerial issues in corporate legal departments) and new managers.
The IPMA is also establishing a new affinity group targeted at Affiliate members. We expect that this conversation will help all attendees learn more about the profession as well as to understand the steps it takes to become a manager.
Learn more about the IPMA Affinity Groups
Join an IPMA Affinity Group:
Log in to your IPMA member profile
and click on the "Committees & Groups" link under the left-hand navigation menu.
Our website contains a large library of webinars that have been recorded when as they were conducted live for members. Topics include instruction on preparing budgets, motivating teams, dealing with difficult people, discipline, conducting evaluations, interviewing, teaching ethics, and training. New topics are added all the time.
View upcoming Live Webinars
View Recorded Webinars
Managerial Skills Seminar
- A full day training session which helps attendees identify their own supervisory style and to share real-life experiences. Along with the seminar topics on leadership, hiring, staff orientation, delegating, performance improvement and evaluations, this course includes a digital file of nearly 500 pages of sample forms and informational articles.
Annual Conference & Expo
- Three days of targeted educational programming and one-on-one conversations to foster professional growth also provides an opportunity to meet representatives from businesses that provide essential services to the legal community.